4th Regiment Michigan Infantry Company ‘C’



The 4th Michigan Infantry was one of the most feared and respected Union regiments who fought in the Civil War. They served in the Army of the Potomac from 1861 to 1864 and mustered out of service on June 29, 1864 at Detroit, Michigan. The 4th was reorganized and sent to the Western theatre that same year. They were mustered out of service in Houston, Texas in 1866. The Records show that a total of 146 Canadians  served in the 4th Michigan or roughly 10 % of the Regiment's total enrolment. From 1861 to 1862 the Regiment wore a unique Québécois style cloth cap referred to as the “Canada Cap”. Members of the A.C.W.H.R.S. have decided to portray this Company of the 4th Michigan because of its brave history and strong Canadian involvement.

The famous Civil War Artist Don Troiani captures the 4th's heroism in his painting “Saving the Flag”. This painting depicts the battle of the Wheatfield at Gettysburg on 2 July 1863, showing Colonel Jeffords commanding the 4th Michigan Regiment fighting for possession of a Confederate regimental standard. In this battle, he was killed while trying to prevent his unit’s standard from falling to a Confederate soldier. He was the only regimental commander actually killed with a bayonet.

image29
Charge led by Captain Erik Simundson

  

The Unit's uniform standards are mid-war. A dark blue Sack coat and sky blue pants and Forage cap. Their foot drill and manual of arms are based on Casey’s Infantry Tactics.


The Fourth Michigan Infantry was recruited from the southern tier of counties of Michigan State, being organized by Colonel Dwight A. Woodberry at Adrian. Like many other Michigan regiments its shared border with Canada ensured the addition of many Canadian recruits and the shared border with Canada West (Ontario) facilitated the active recruitment by Michigan regiments. The 4th Michigan Regiment was composed of the "Peninsular Guard" (COMPANY ‘C’) of Sturgis, the "Barry Guard" of Ann Arbor, the "Smith  Guard" of Monroe, the "Trenton Volunteers" of Trenton, the "Dexter Union Guard" of Dexter, the "Hudson Volunteers" of Hillsdale, the "Grosvenor Union Guard" of Jonesville, and the "Tecumseh Volunteers" of Tecumseh. The organization of the Regiment was completed at its rendezvous in Adrian, and then  mustered into the United States service for three years on June 20, 1861.


The photo of the officer "leading the charge" is of Captain Erik Simundson, Commanding Officer and Founder of the 4th Michigan, Company C, Re-enactors. Captain Simundson (1945 – 2018) was an American Civil War re-enactor for over 55 years and also served 40 years with the Canadian Forces Queen’s Own Rifles, rising through the ranks, and retiring with the rank of Major. 

Present Members of 4th Michigan, Company C

PRESENT MEMBERS

Present Members of the 4th Michigan, Company C